Yesterday I spent the whole day by the river Ganga at Chhote Laal Ghat. I had seen the river many times, at many different places before – from its origin at the Gaumukh Glacier to its confluence at the Bay of Bengal. But yesterday was the first time that I saw it, heard it, smelled it and felt it till I could swear that I had it grasped in my fist.
It rained as I sat gazing. Little kids that had been playing in the ghats came and took shelter under the same gazebo as me. They made a lot of noise, peered over my shoulder, dripped water on my sketches and then coaxed me into adding more, and more birds.
And when the rain had stopped, and the sound of traffic over the Howrah Bridge took over, the kids disappeared. Only I was left marvelling at the vitality of the river edge, at what has been, still is and always will be the liveliest part of Calcutta.

No comments:
Post a Comment